Internet is forcing businesses to think and review their business strategy frequently. IT is struggling hard to cope up with the constant changes businesses asking them to make. To keep the system up and running and to maintain service level agreement, IT is demanding that all changes should follow change management procedure. Change management is the only solution allows Business and IT to do hand shake.
The ITIL change management process is the one of best practices adopted by organizations all over the world. However, if it is combined with customer focused lean or six sigma framework, then process will be much quicker, efficient and avoids wastage of time, rework, and unnecessary multiple approvals.
While defining change management strategy, the organization should start addressing following questions:
- What is the importance of change management?
- What is the purpose of change management?
- What are the benefits of change management process?
- What does it look like?
- What are the key performance indicators for the process?
- What is necessary to make change management process happen in the business?
- What people, process and technology changes are required?
- Does the process covers production, QA and test environment or volatile development environment also taken into consideration?
- Should the approval process be automated?
- Should the deployment process be automated?
- Should the standard, regular changes included into the change management process?
- What is the definition of service request, change request and project request?
- What type of the change request should go to change advisory board?
- What type of request should go to advisory board?
- Who should be on the advisory board?
- How many times the advisory board should meet?
- Who are the approvers for request before sending to advisory board for approval?
- What is the difference between emergency request and normal change request?
- What is definition of emergency request?
- Does it create outage or delay project schedule?
- What impact analysis is performed on emergency request?
- How to reduce the frequency of emergency requests?